We all know, when testing mods for the first time, or testing mod compatibility, how troublesome is the process of installing mods directly into the jar.
For those who want to just paste/remove mods without touching the jar, or for firts time modders here's my contribute:
- Download the mod archive.
- Open it and check if it contains a folder named 'net', if it's there skip to 3, else:
- If there's not a 'net' folder, navigate in the folders to find it and extract it, or if there's none at all, extract the files and create this path: net/minecraft/server/ModFiles.
- Make a zip containing the 'net' folder.
- If you done it correct, your zip now contains this path: net/minecraft/server/ModFiles.
- You're ready to go to 3.
- Now all you have to do is put the mod zip into your server/mods folder and run the server.
- If a mod fails to load, and you think it may involve other mods, try adding a letter prefix to the zip (eg. 'a_' or 'z_'), to make it load before/after the mod involved.
- Adjust the (eventual) config file in server/config as your liking/needing.
Some mod still need to be installed in the jar I guess, for the most part on mcpc it worked just fine for me.
ModLoaderMP and Forge MUST be installed in the jar, do not expect them to work from mods folder.
This procedure works with mods based on ModLoaderMP, most of the mods use it anyway.
Feel free to do any correction.